Blog of a girl who struggles with her fat ass and the process of it's elimination.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Mini Quiche Muffins

I've seen little breakfast/egg/quiche muffins floating around the interwebs so I decided to make my own.  I couldn't find a recipe that fit perfectly with what I wanted, but I think part of the beauty of quiche is that you can throw whatever stuff in it that you want.  I'm fairly picky when it comes to vegetables, but I had some stuff lying around that I thought would make a good quiche.  I also like quick and easy recipes, not only because I like spending more time outside the kitchen, but I also like getting as much sleep as possible during the week.  So my work day breakfasts are grab n go.

Mini Quiche Muffins

1 dozen eggs
Shredded cheese (I used finely shredded colby jack)
Frozen broccoli, thawed a bit
Canned mushrooms
Salt n Pepa (that's pepper for those of you under 30)

**These veggies can be substituted for whatever your heart desires.  Add some meat if you want!  I wanted to focus more on needing to eat more veggies than eating more meat.  See modification ideas below.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Crack all those eggy bitches into a bowl.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk.  Spray a 12 cup muffin tin well with non-stick spray.  Add a few bits of veggies in the bottom of each cup.  Add a pinch of shredded cheese on top of each cup's contents.  Pour eggs into a big measuring cup for easy pouring.  Pour eggs into each muffin cup, SLOWLY, filling to about 3/4 way full.  Bake at 350 for 20 mins, or until puffy and eggs are set to your preference.  Once cool, pop out all your little quiches and throw them in a big ziploc bag to refrigerate.  Microwave two muffins at work or pop into a toaster oven until warm.  Voila!


Modification ideas:
  • This recipe can be modified for a smaller muffin pan, use 1 egg per muffin cup.  
  • Mix in some milk or cream to make them more decadent, but keep in mind the more fatty stuff you add the less healthy you can claim them to be.  
  • Add sausage or bacon to them, that would be super yummy.  
  • You could do a more traditional quiche and throw in ham, asparagus and mushrooms the way my French grandmother makes quiche.  (This reminds me, I am visiting her soon, must request a quiche for breakfast one day.)  
  • Go "southwestern" and add red and green peppers, onion, and whatever else makes it southwestern style.  
  • Put some hot sauce or ketchup on top.  
  • Amp up the veggie content with chopped spinach.
  • Play with different cheeses for different flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment